The ARRIBA Program

I will be here in Lima, Peru until April 2008. I am living with a Peruvian Family and Cole - my room mate from Faith Baptist Bible College. The first few months we went through language school as well as different cultural, Bible, and missions classes. Now I am serving in a local church in a suburb of Lima called Manchay. The mission is the great Commission--bringing souls into the universal church of Christ and discipling them in the local church here in Manchay.

Prayer Requests

  • TO HAVE QUALITY TIME IN PRAYER AND BIBLE READING
  • TO HAVE CONSISTANT PROGRESS IN LEARNING SPANISH
  • TO HAVE OPPORTUNITIES TO WITNESS AND DISCIPLE
  • TO HAVE SUFFICIENT FUNDS

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Adventures with the Family

I am refreshed and ready to finish out the year. Less then 6 weeks left. My family (Amber, Mom, and Dad) were able to come down for a week. There weren’t any problems or complications—except for the storm in Atlanta that made their flight get into Lima at 4am. I took a taxi from my house at 2am, retrieved them, and got home around 5am. We had a blast. I took them all over Lima experiencing the rich sections, the poor sections, the public transportation, the honking of horns, the Lima traffic with crazy drivers, different culture, different language, new foods, and more.The Lord gave safety in everything we did.

We were able to go to the Town square with the Palace building, congress building, and cathedral. We rode a bus up to the top of a mountain where we could look out at almost all of Lima—the home of 10 million people. We also were able to go to a really nice fountain and lights park. It is nothing like they have ever seen before. Of course, I took them to experience bartering in the markets. It’s going to be weird coming home and having set prices, lines, cash registers, etc. We also got to visit the beach. As dad took his shoes of to wade in the Pacific ocean, the tide came in and ruptured his shoe away. A few men playing in the waves made attempts to retrieve the shoe, but were wiped out by the huge waves. There was a woman that was very persistent and continued until she finally caught it as the tide brought it in again. We had the whole beach laughing hysterically. It was worth the embarrassment.

Although I walked them half to death, my family was really encouraged to see me and the ministry here in Peru. For me personally, it was a huge blessing to get to spend time with the family, and for them to see a small part of what and who I am now.

Be in prayer for 2 upcoming trips.

1. I will be going to the jungle to work in a village church for 2 weeks (May 1). Pray for safety in travel, and especially safety in health. The different climate, foods, and lifestyle could be very hard on the body. Pray for strength and resistance so we can maximize our ministry to the people. The girls will be working a lot with the ladies, the four guys will preach 3 times each, and all of us will be active in kid’s clubs.

2. I will be going to Pisco next Wednesday (March 19) for a few days. I am in contact with a few pastors from neighboring cities. Pray for open doors and opportunities for the national pastors to show me around the city and the neighboring towns that have no churches. Be in prayer that the Lord will have His will in this trip. It could be another step closer to His direction in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tito,
I'm still praying for you! And I will especially pray about your Pisco trip. Sometime, soon I'll try to update you on my life too. :) May Christ be seen in you!
~Utter

Anonymous said...

Hey it was good to talk to you on the phone on Saturday. I'm so excited for you but i'm looking forward to seeing you again soon!

Heidi