The ARRIBA Program

I will be here in Lima, Peru until April 2008. I am living with a Peruvian Family and Cole - my room mate from Faith Baptist Bible College. The first few months we went through language school as well as different cultural, Bible, and missions classes. Now I am serving in a local church in a suburb of Lima called Manchay. The mission is the great Commission--bringing souls into the universal church of Christ and discipling them in the local church here in Manchay.

Prayer Requests

  • TO HAVE QUALITY TIME IN PRAYER AND BIBLE READING
  • TO HAVE CONSISTANT PROGRESS IN LEARNING SPANISH
  • TO HAVE OPPORTUNITIES TO WITNESS AND DISCIPLE
  • TO HAVE SUFFICIENT FUNDS

Monday, January 21, 2008

Kids Camp and the Weekend

This week was one of the most trying but most fulfilling weeks so far. I have worked as a leader in teen groups for 3 years, but kids have always been my weakness. Just finished a week of kid’s camp as a counselor. I had 10 little terrorists. It was a nightmare, but well worth it. I had 2 pastor's kids, 3 or more from broken homes, and a few local Catholics. Had some adventures like finding a bag full of snails in the cabin, another day getting hit by a flying baby bird because the boys found a nest and brought it in, not to mention the sleep dancers and singers, and of course, the boy with bowel problems. Had a kid have an accident in his underwear, put it in a bag, and put it on the bed post— I wondered why it stunk. All that and more. But, 6 got saved. I got to lead 5 of them to the Lord. It was so awesome to share the gospel with them each day from the WORDLESS BOOK, BRACELET, etc. and see the lights click on as the Holy Spirit prepared their little hearts to accept His Son. I think kids show their emotions a little more than adults. I had an 8 year old start praying, then stop for a few seconds. I looked up to see if he was done or needed help; well, he had begun to cry. He finished his prayer, then cried even more. I asked him how he felt and if he was happy—he told me more then ever before, and he was at peace at last. I almost cried myself.

Also, had the forth salvation Bible study with a teen named Edghis this weekend, and he told the King that his confidence to go to heaven was completely in Christ. His neighbor tagged along and prayed to accept Christ as well. I have been working on Him for 6 weeks, and who knows how long the Holy Spirit has been preparing him. Praise God. Praise God to see fruit. Pray for discipleship and growth. I am starting discipleship with Edghis and the neighbor lady wants discipleship as well. Be in prayer for the discipleship of these teens and boys that are babes in Christ. It is so awesome to start from scratch, nothing, and be used of the Holy Spirit to point them to the truths of His Word. There is nothing like it! Stay faithful. Remember what is really worth living for—what is eternal.

1 comment:

Jonathan Templeton said...

I don't believe it. I though only Amy was going down to Peru on the ARIBA group. I guess since you got a taste of it last year, you just had to go back. I'll never forget when Josh Steinmetz and I lowered you down that building with a rope! Fun times.
I saw that my cousin, Scott Fulks, also posted on your blog. I'll be praying for you.
Jon Templeton