The ARRIBA Program

I will be here in Lima, Peru until April 2008. I am living with a Peruvian Family and Cole - my room mate from Faith Baptist Bible College. The first few months we went through language school as well as different cultural, Bible, and missions classes. Now I am serving in a local church in a suburb of Lima called Manchay. The mission is the great Commission--bringing souls into the universal church of Christ and discipling them in the local church here in Manchay.

Prayer Requests

  • TO HAVE QUALITY TIME IN PRAYER AND BIBLE READING
  • TO HAVE CONSISTANT PROGRESS IN LEARNING SPANISH
  • TO HAVE OPPORTUNITIES TO WITNESS AND DISCIPLE
  • TO HAVE SUFFICIENT FUNDS

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Cusco, Mountains, Bombs, and More

I just got back from a 10 day trip to Cusco. As we boarded our plane to go to Cusco, I heard "Teetoos" on the intercom. They were calling Titus to come to the front of the plane. A very nervous Peruvian baggage worker met me. He tried to say a few things in English, but was too nervous. I told him to just do Spanish. He asked questions about my bag such as color and size. We ran / sprinted out of the plane, and out to the big cement field of the airport. Far away from any building or plane, was my green, old school suitcase. He asked what I had in it. He told me to feel it, touch it. I did, and it was vibrating like crazy. He asked if I had anything I needed to tell him before he called in. I said no. He then told me to open it slowly and carefully as he backed up 20 feet or so. He was sure it was a bomb. At this time, I was quite nervous myself. I opened it. Sure enough, my electric shaver had turned on and was hitting the metal rim of my suitcase—vibrating the whole thing. All this before 6 AM.

We visited several churches having the opportunity to run the services: one guy preached a few times; we all gave testimonies, specials, and whatever the pastors desired. I had the privilege to lead songs for the first time in Peru. We arrived at a church Sunday night, and the pastor told me that I was leading songs. I knew all the songs in English, but had never sung them in Spanish—quite the adventure. On the third song, I wanted to get them to stand, but due to some very interesting things some people where doing in the congregation, I became distracted, and all I could remember was the word "FOOT." They got the idea. Then, when I told them they could be seated, I told them "you can now feel yourself." I know the people enjoyed it, and I enjoyed it as well. Being able to laugh at yourself while taking yourself seriously is the master trade of a missionary—still working on it.

We also got to bring some radio equipment up a mountain to the tower. The churches in the Cusco area have a radio ministry in Spanish and also some songs and preaching in Quechua—the secondary language here in Peru that is the main language in the Mountains. The tower was about 150-200 feet high. I love climbing, and someone had to anyway, so I was able to conquer the tower. It was very cold and windy, but I got some great pictures from the top of this tower on top of a mountain. Serving God does have mountain top experiences . . . and tower tops on top of mountain tops.

We also visited Machu Picchu – one of the 7 wonders of the world. It was amazing. How the Incas built the city on top of the mountain is a mystery. We also climbed the big mountain right next to the old ruins. It was quite the adventure. I took some great pictures.

I also got sick as a dog for a day or two. That is really getting old. It is in these times that a missionary needs the most prayer.

Got to witness to a Buddhist from NYC, a tourist shop worker for 2 hours, and a guy on the plane coming back for over an hour. The Lord sure gives opportunities to those who ask for them. Do we have a great God or what? He commands us to shine out of our darkness--an impossible task, and then He shines in us what He wants us to be and preach (2 Cor 4:1-7) making the impossible an everyday occurrence. You want to do something for God, spend time in His Word and talking to Him. Brian Trainer was right when He said in Hom 1 last year: “We are only worth for God what we receive from Him and His Word in our own lives.”

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
2 Cor 4:6

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I hope things are going well for you. I don't have time right now to read your blog, but I want to sometime. How can I contact you? What's your e-mail? Anyway, I'll talk to ya later. :)

Sarah said...

Tito!!!

Praying for you!

I laughed when I read your airport story. Quite the experience! :) Your tower experience sounds quite exciting as well. You never seem to be at a loss for adventure.

Sarah