The ARRIBA Program

I will be here in Lima, Peru until April 2008. I am living with a Peruvian Family and Cole - my room mate from Faith Baptist Bible College. The first few months we went through language school as well as different cultural, Bible, and missions classes. Now I am serving in a local church in a suburb of Lima called Manchay. The mission is the great Commission--bringing souls into the universal church of Christ and discipling them in the local church here in Manchay.

Prayer Requests

  • TO HAVE QUALITY TIME IN PRAYER AND BIBLE READING
  • TO HAVE CONSISTANT PROGRESS IN LEARNING SPANISH
  • TO HAVE OPPORTUNITIES TO WITNESS AND DISCIPLE
  • TO HAVE SUFFICIENT FUNDS

Friday, June 8, 2007

The Mighty in Manchay

The plan was to meet Moises (a teenager) outside of church at 1:30. He did not show, so Allen, Amy, Joy, Nikki, and I decided to tour Manchay by ourselves. At the end of a dirt road there was a path that led up the sierra (small mountain). I noticed 2 Doberman-like dogs ahead on the path growling and ready for action. I told the girls just to stay behind me as I picked up a large rock. I was ready for some "fun" but I wasn't going to look for it. Praise God nothing happened. We progressed up the sierra to a large wooden cross. We could see all of Manchay and a couple smaller nearby towns. It was beautiful.

We trekked down the mini-mountain and back into town. As we were walking by a soccer field, I noticed one guy being chased by another guy. When other guys saw what was happening, they jumped in. Five or six Peruvians surrounded the one. They all reached down to pick up rocks. I quickly shoved the girls into a nearby Tienda (store) just in time to see a rock the size of a softball zip past my head. I was ready with my police baton if action called for duty. The mob closed in on the guy, and the leader began to beat him with a club as the other threw in a kick here and there.

Allen, on the other side of the street, saw Moises (the teen we were supposed to meet up with). Allen took off after Moises and convinced him not to get involved. Allen said, "We would like to see your house." With all the activity, I lost Allen and Moises in the crowd. I knew generally where Moises lived, so I led the gals down the street--avoiding the mob. It was fascinating to see local Tienda owners come out with broom handles and clubs to keep the mob from entering their stores. The police arrived and somehow, the main victim, bloody and bruised, got up and ran up the hill with a few buddies. Several guys chased after him. Until more police arrived, the Peruvian with the club was restrained and thrown in a guard shack on the corner of the street where our church is located. The angry Peruvian punched out all the glass in the shack--thankfully there was bars over the windows and doors.

Although the police showed up and broke up the fight, Allen and Moises said they heard several rounds shot off up the hill. Either both groups (probably gangs) gave up, or finished the job.

I see the Lord's hand in all of this. If we met Moises as planned, Allen and I could have been playing soccer, and potentially could have been more involved in the fight. No rocks hit us and the guys with knives and clubs left us alone.

There is so much reckless activity among the youth in the city of Manchay. Please pray that Allen and I will learn the language, and be affective disciplers of the youth in our church, and reach out to these wanton Jovenes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey bro, its awesome to hear of God's working. i'm praying for you. stay strong down there!

Anonymous said...

Titus,

Praise the Lord for your safety and how He is working! I'm at Northland now and learning much! Keep growing! -Abigail

Ghost Writer said...

tito fuerte, como estas? I see your summer is jam packed full of events. 2 Thumbs up from Siskel and Ebert, i dont think Siskel is still living though. But anyway, I'm praying for you bro and I know the Lord will use this time greatly. Press on amigo!
Brownie

Unknown said...

Titus, just don't get yourself killed, okay? Mother worries about you. I'm praying. Walk by faith.

Noah said...

I am definitely in prayer for you. Hope you don't mind, I'm going to put a post with a link to both yours and Amys' blogs. Also, see if you can show Amy how to post... lol So glad to hear how you both are doing down there!

Jon Bennett said...

Sounds crazy Tito. Good thing for your police baton! : ) Did Amy get her mace yet? You've both got the Lord with you and that's what really matters.
Later bud.

Dave Marriott said...

Titos,

I miss you man --- our late night theology discussions were great --- that's okay, they can wait, but there's someone there in Peru who can't --- you are actually putting it all into practice! I am praying for you!

Dave
Luke 9:22-23

SamanthaCote10 said...

Hi my name is Samantha.
I hope to begin a service project in Manchay. I go to church at a parish called St. Rose. My hope was to create a connection between St. Rose and a parish in Manchay. The contact that I had, has not responed to any of my attempts to contact him in the past couple weeks and I'm trying to find a contact so I could find a parish in Manchay that would benefit from this type of connection I'm trying to make. Our hope is to create a team of youth and adults to establish a connection with the youth of a church in Manchay. There is much more to the plan and I would really like to ask you some questions about you visit to Manchay. Thank you so much.
God Bless

My email address is SamanthaCote10@gmail.com